Message

Thank you so much for visiting my blog - please forgive me if I have not posted in a while, it does not mean that we are inactive. Actually it is quite the opposite, it means that I have just not had a chance to do so with all the farm activity going on, setting up my farm store, creating products, and keeping my Etsy Stores up to date. If you are interested in any of my products please visit my Etsy store at https://www.etsy.com/shop/RockGardenAlpacas or click on any of the product links in the blogs below.Thank you so much for visiting me here.

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Spinning Lesson #1

I have become really intriqued with all the possibilities that lie ahead with the processing of my alpacas fiber. 

I am a quilter (Inspired Creations byD) by nature and work with fabric but now that I have my alpacas and have felt what their fleece feels like – my head is (pardon the pun) spinning with ideas of what to do with the fiber.

I started taking spinning lessons – first on a drop spindle.  When I got to my lesson Jan (the woman teaching me), told me I would be spinning in an hour and I responded with “I truly doubt that”.  Well sure enough, I was; albeit NOT VERY WELL but just the same spinning.  Jan filled me in on the basics of the drop spindle and how to get the fiber to twist; how you spin in “z” and then “s” if plying – always opposite; how to “draft” out your fiber for a consistent yarn – as shown below I had that down real well (ha, ha, ha).  

I was sent home with some homework for the following week. Basically I needed to practice my single ply spinning and try to become more consistent.


1 comment:

  1. Hi, Deb: LOVE the post. Can't wait to see what else you've learned about spinning. Have a great day. Linda

    ReplyDelete