Message

Thank you so much for visiting my blog - please forgive me if I have not posted in a while, it does not mean that we are inactive. Actually it is quite the opposite, it means that I have just not had a chance to do so with all the farm activity going on, setting up my farm store, creating products, and keeping my Etsy Stores up to date. If you are interested in any of my products please visit my Etsy store at https://www.etsy.com/shop/RockGardenAlpacas or click on any of the product links in the blogs below.Thank you so much for visiting me here.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Spinning Lesson #3

This week Jan showed me Andean Plying – where the people in the Andes would wrap the newly spun yarn single around their hand in a way that both ends of the yarn would be accessible thus plying a single yarn into a two ply.


It was very interesting but I found myself more excited over the Navajo Plying – this was where you would spin your single ply yarn and then using your ball winder you would wind it off the spindle into a ball.  This could also be done using an empty paper towel or toilet paper roll and wrapping the yarn around that to make a ball. 


Next you take and tie an end of your yarn onto the spindle and create a loop that your hand can fit through.  You originally spun your single in a clockwise direction so you are now going to spin in a counterclockwise direction.  Reach through the loop and pull the single through til it forms a new loop and proceed to spin again; you are basically creating a chain and spinning.


This week’s homework was to practice the Navajo plying and to then spin 4 single plys clockwise (z), then take two of the singles and ply to the other 2 in a counterclockwise (s) direction while also applying much more twist. Then take those 2 2-plys and ply them together in a clockwise direction (z); this creates a “braided” ply that I find I also like VERY much.



Jan also showed me her carding machine and we carded some batts, (of course hers were much MUCH better than mine).  I was to take home the batts I made and spin from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment